Friday, June 5, 2015

Originally Called the "Devil's Music." Now the Most Popular Genre.


According to Vice, there was a surprising discovery in the world of music; heavy metal is the most popular genre that people are listening to. Of course, this may come as a surprise to some, as pop music and hip hop seem to be played on the radio constantly. However, according to Spotify, pop music comes in second place, while hip hop places sixth in the ranking. Even Electronic Dance Music, or EDM, placed far lower than all three, and that replaced my local "Hot Topic's" metal playlist. Also, no one could even place the argument that pop and metal are close, as pop was in second place, because metal had approximately 1 million loyal fans, while pop only had 760,000 loyal fans. That is a 240,000 fan difference! Also, this fan base may possibly have been passed from generation to generation. While pop and hip hop band create brand new fans, metal bands' music can be played from parents to children, resulting in a generational fan base. I know that my parents used to play "Led Zeppelin" when I was a baby to make me fall asleep. Perhaps that is why I am such a diehard rock and metalhead. "Led Zeppelin" started it all for me. Actually, my father owned a great deal of rock and metal tapes and CDs that were passed on to me. Some of which include "Iron Maiden" and "Metallica." These bands are just two of the ones most listened to on Spotify. Also, metal is not just an American thing. The great genre of heavy metal is enjoyed in Portugal, Norway, England, and even Egypt. While Egypt's metal scene remains underground, there is still a metal scene for people to enjoy. Egypt may be a land torn apart by war, but the shredding guitar solos and deep, throaty vocals continue to bring the people together. Metal is not just a genre of music that people enjoy "head-banging" to; it is a genre that has the ability to patch relationships and bring people together through hard times. All types of rock and metal are the only kinds of music I even listen to. Metal and rock-and-roll are the only genres that are even worth listening to. Many of my friends feel the same way. As the rock band "Hinder" sings, "Like what you like; it don't matter to me", but for this metalhead, rock and metal is the only way.

Godsmack - I Stand Alone

Disturbed - Another Way to Die

No comments:

Post a Comment